Indian woman Uzma tells court she was forced to marry in Pakistan



A 20-year-old Indian woman tells Pakistan court that she was forced to marry her Pakistani husband.

The Islamabad High Court continued hearing the case of Uzma who reiterated on Friday that she was “forced to marry” her Pakistani husband Tahir Ali.

Uzma requested the court to allow her to return to India.

When the hearing was going on, First Secretary at the Indian High Commission Piyush Singh also was present at the High Court. Their lawyer Shahnawaz Noon submitted a written reply to court which mentioned Uzma’s version of events, Dawn reported.


Uzma earlier said she was married Tahir Ali. Tahir is a resident of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa who, eight months ago, was working as a taxi driver in Malaysia.

The two were married in early May in Buner, two days after Uzma arrived in Pakistan via the Wagah border.

A few days after their marriage, the couple approached the Indian High Commission reportedly to secure Indian visas as Uzma’s brother in new Delhi asked her to come to India for their honeymoon, according to a Dawn report.

Uzma’s brother told her that she could find a man — Adnan — in the Indian embassy who can help them sort out their visas.


According to a Dawn report, after Uzma and Tahir went to Indian embassy to sort their visas after which she had ‘gone missing’.

“At the Indian embassy window, she asked about Adnan. A while later, a man came out and took her inside through gate number six. I waited and waited, and then at 7pm I asked at the embassy gate if my wife was inside. They told me no one was inside,”Dawn quoted Tahir.

An embassy official said that Uzma had actually “sought refuge” at the Indian High Commission in Islamabad.

According to the Indian High Commission, she claimed to have married Ali and alleged that she later came to know he was already married and had four children.


Uzma had earlier said she was forced to marry Tahir Ali at gunpoint. According to Uzma, her Pakistani husband stole her passport and other travel documents.

“Threatened to kill, harassed and badly humiliated,” Uzma said in her six-page reply to the court on Friday and repeated she was made to sign the nikkah document with a gun to her head.

But before she signed the document, Uzma said she was “mercilessly deadened, sedated through sleeping pills and sexually assaulted” at the Wagah Border.

“When she regained consciousness, she claims she was in Buner, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa,” Uzma’s lawyer told the court.


Speaking to the media, Uzma’s husband, Tahir Ali, accused his wife of lying, saying she knew he was married with four children.

“She has been in the Indian embassy since May 5. I don’t know how her mental state is now and why she is lying,” he added, claiming Uzma had been previously married.

“I have messages to prove we both were aware of each others’ marital status,” Ali claimed.

Her lawyer aimed to get permission from Islamabad to allow her to return to India. Uzma’s visa is said to expire on May 30 and the government of India has sought help from the Government of Pakistan to arrange her necessary travel documents for her safe return.


Facebook Comments